Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today we began with this opener (pdf) - which was really just a sample so we could all learn the procedure we'll follow at the beginning of class. Trust me, beginning tomorrow the openers will be at a more appropriate mathematical level :-).

We then spent some time reviewing the topics on the Math Skills Assessment and each group presented on a particular skill. Please take a look at the following images and critique them (nicely). (Click on each image to view it larger.) What could we do better next time to make a better visual explanation of a math topic? Feel free to leave a comment on this post (use your lpsk12.org login please). You don't have to leave a comment tonight, but I will ask you to leave one as part of tomorrow night's homework, so you might just want to go ahead and do that.











Your homework for tonight is:
  1. Review for the Math Skills Assessment. You'll be assessed over these skills tomorrow.

  2. If you haven't completed the assignments from last night, please do so, as they are due by first period tomorrow.

  3. Make sure you try all your logins (computer at school if you have time, definitely google apps, LPS Campus Portal, and the Moodle). Let me know if you have any difficulties - we'll get them figured out.
  4. Not due until Friday, but leave a comment on this post (using your lpsk12.org login) giving some constructive feedback to one or more of the groups.

16 comments:

  1. I think that the group I think was 6? with the Order of Operations really helped review for me. With the P(Please) E(Excuse) M(My) D(Dear) A(Aunt) S(Sally.) It was a good refresher from when I took the math assessment over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reviewing in class helped me a lot. At first I wasn't sure how to do some of the things, but after talking to some of my class mates and listening to the others present I remembered how to do everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also group two did a good job of showing how to change a mix number so you can add or subtract fractions. They did a nice job of writing and explaining it step by step.

      Delete
  3. I didn't remember much before class but after review and studying it I remeber it all pretty well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think reveiwing all of the topics was very helpful and it definatley got my head back into the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this was very helpful, especially being able to look at the examples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the reviews really helped me, I had no clue what I was doing before tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was nice to go and review all the topics. After a long summer my brain was still in summer mode. It really helped me how the students explained everything. I am a visual learner, so that was a good way of reviewing those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and i think we could improve it by adding more examples of each thing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved going back and reviewing ho to do these problems they really helped me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this activity really refreshed my mind from the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the group that did the multiplying and dividing of integers did a great job of explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that this review really helped me and lot of the other students to get back into school mode.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This really helped me with the test.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought this was very helpful and I cant think of any problems with it. Everyone did a good job of organizing the problems and putting them into steps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that going over this in class really helped me remember how to solve these types of problems. Everyone was very neat and did a great job of explaining how to do the problems.

    ReplyDelete